Thursday 1 March 2007

I *Heart* Hong Kong


I have been living here for the past 5 1/2 years. In that time I've become a mom, a nervous wreck, an amateur publicist, a serious writer, an accidental MBA student, a comic actor (me? do comedy? are you serious???), and all that.


Hong Kong has a way of bringing out the full range of a person's skills and qualities. Its vibrant, cross-cultural influx of people to meet, greet and, when necessary, ignore have made a great impact on me. Hong Kong humour, for example, is safe and best experienced with a drink. At a regular Irish-esque pub, people avoid the following: politics, religion, race and all talk about the sordidness of life. Perhaps living in Hong Kong can be quite unbearable for some that these lofty yet trite "ideas" can be stifling and exhausting. Most people work more than 12 hours a day in Hong Kong--one must understand. It is no wonder, then, that one would oftentimes hear the words:


WORK HARD, PLAY HARD.


And oh, does one play hard! Wednesday is ladies' night; Thursday is ladies' night; Friday night is the most wicked of them all; Saturday is Friday's flattering copycat; and Sunday? Where goes Sunday? It passes us by just like another wave passing through the harbour.


5 1/2 years ago, I left another city, some 711 miles southwest of Hong Kong, which I sorely miss, and thus return to from time to time.


Yet Hong Kong is my home for now. It has its pitfalls, for sure--every place in the world does, but it is paradise for now. I became a mother in Hong Kong. It is not the easiest job to take on, but Hong Kong provides enough help. Without help, Hong Kong would not survive.


Let me welcome you to Asia's World City.

No comments: